Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Man of the Hour: Jim Moriarty

Or, more specifically, Andrew Scott's Jim Moriarty.

Not to worry - a new trailer for The Bourne Legacy is due at the end of the week and I suspect Jeremy Renner will regain his position of honor here soon enough.

In the meantime, however, I finally watched the last episode of the second Sherlock series.  Benedict Cumberbatch is still exotically brilliant but Andrew Scott is the one I'm thinking of in the shower these days.  His Jim Moriarty is chillingly intelligent and diabolically manipulative.  Here, at his slippery and calculating best:



and



Moriarty is, obviously, an insane force for malevolence but he also shows great humor, flashes of vulnerability, and, most of all, a very humanizing sensuality (something largely lacking in Cumberbatch's Holmes).  For example, this scene is wildly creepy but the way Scott works his eyes is undeniably sexy:



The series' finale suggests Moriarty won't be returning for more opportunities to send shivers (good and bad) down my spine.  I suppose I'll have to keep calm and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment